Please note: This post contains affiliate links.
- Advertise your services on Fiverr. This site is well-known for being a place where you can get work done starting at only $5. More advanced work usually costs more. If you’re a logo designer, design logos; a writer, offer writing services, and so on. Side note: I just had my logo for this page redesigned for only $6. The turnaround was quick and I got a great result.
- Register and with Amazon’s Mechanical Turk and earn money performing micro-tasks. Some tasks start out at .50 (I try not accept tasks lower than this), but there are other, bigger tasks available, such as transcribing audio or video which pay in the hundreds. So far, I have earned $238.42 from this site in about a month and a half.
- Check Craigslist in your hometown for jobs. In particular under the Jobs section, check “Etc.” jobs. There is everything here from taking part in a focus group (online or in person) or taking part in a mock trial or taste testing locally. I have earned several hundred dollars using this part of Craigslist. Also check the “Gigs” section on the site for one or two day gigs that usually pay cash (e.g., helping set up a vendor booth before a convention), working as a spokesmodel, or spinning a sign for a few hours. I have participated in online and in-person focus groups I found on craigslist.
- Clinical research studies – these may be through a private research company or a local university. I am taking part in one shortly on probiotics that I found on Craigslist (this was in the “Gigs” section). These usually take part over several weeks, and may include taking an investigational medication. They can pay anything from $400-1,000. Simply Google clinical trials — XYZ city. I have an appointment next week to see about participating in a probiotics study that will earn me $400 if I am accepted.
- Babysitting/pet sitting/housesitting – these are all great ways to earn extra income in your spare time. Check out Care.com for babysitting jobs and Rover.com and Care.com for pet sitting jobs. I created a car magnet and business cards on Vistaprint.com to get pet sitting jobs near me. Consider dropping some business cards off at your local veterinarian’s office to find pet sitting clients. For housesitting jobs try Trustedhousesitters.com or Housesittersamerica.com.
- Sell your stuff! Many people have old electronic devices sitting around collecting dust (think old phones and tablets). You can sell these for cash on sites like Ebay.com, letgo.com or gazelle.com. You can also sell your gently used clothing, shoes, purses etc., on eBay, tradesy, Poshmark or your local consignment shop. The sites usually keep a percentage of your sale and consignment shops usually take 50% from your sale, which is good to know.
- Are you creative? Set up a site selling your homemade goodies on etsy.com. Some alternatives to etsy.com include: Cafe Press and Zazzle. You can also sell things on Amazon.com FBA (fulfillment by Amazon).
- Consider registering to drive for Uber or Lyft. Uber pays its drivers weekly via direct deposit and provides discounts on things like car insurance and cell phones.
- Plasma/blood donation – I have done both, sometimes for cash, sometimes for free. I donated plasma for about 6 months a few years ago and I earned several hundred dollars. If you’re not squeamish and you want to make some quick cash, plasma donation is the way to go. To find plasma centers in your area, Google Plasma centers XYZ city.
- Offer to rake your neighbor’s lawn/mow their grass, shovel their driveway or run errands. You can post a flyer in your neighborhood, on a bulletin board at your local grocery store (if they have one), or put an ad up on Craigslist. Better yet, buy a car magnet and make business cards inexpensively on vistaprint.com to get even more clients.
- Earn cash by buying things online through Swagbucks or Ebates.com. Once you have enough points in your account on Swagbucks you can trade them in for things like PayPal cash. You can also earn points on Swagbucks by watching videos or answering surveys. Ebates.com works a little differently and pays you cash back when your purchase things at sites linked through them. Right now new users get a $10 sign-up bonus – either a free Walmart gift card or $10 in your Ebates account.
- Consider having your car professionally wrapped at Wrapify or Carvertise. Carvertise is only currently available in the Northeast. These are both legitimate sites, unlike some of the scams you’ll find on Craiglist.